hey everyone,
Well I just watched the first debate and I need to just jot down my initial reaction so I can let it rest.
First trying to be unbiased and just commenting on style. Obama was very present, looking at the moderator and McCain, laying out very precise plans, and basically demonstrating a command of the information and understanding of the issues. Obama also spent very little time commenting on specifics of McCain's record . (which of course is full of possible ammo to be used against him)
McCain on the other hand, looked at the floor and off into space, he looked tired and even bored, absent minded and uncomfortable at times. He rarely, if ever, gave any specific plans, rather he attacked Obama's record, gave general talking points, and told stories.
Obama was on it and awake, in command. McCain looked tired and struggling. On energy alone I know who I want as our President.
More specifically, for example on the current economic situation Obama listed one by one the things he would add to Bush's bailout plan. McCain on the other hand said general stuff like the dems and republicans are working together to make a plan. Funny, Obama was one of those making the plan, McCain really had nothing to do with it.
So I guess that gets me into the meat of the debate. Obviously I think Obama kicked ass. Of course I agree more with him than with McCain. McCain had a tough time because he has been on the wrong side of every issue. So he cannot really talk specifics. Just attack and throw out talking points. McCain really has no vision.
McCain was talking about cutting out millions of dollars of earmarks (which actually create jobs) while Obama was talking cutting out hundreds of millions in tax loop holes.
So plenty of people will dissect this debate, I wanna go to sleep so I will not do that any further.
The one thing I will do is say where I disagree most with Obama and that is his militaristic approach towards Afghanistan and Pakistan. The wars in Iraq AND Afghanistan have proved, once again, that military intervention and subsequent occupation of middle eastern countries does not bring about stability or end terrorism. It in fact flares anti-American sentiment with every civilian killed and every home destroyed! Instead of arguing which wars should be fought I wish Obama was arguing that WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER. Instead his disagreement on foreign policy with McCain boiled down to McCain wanting war with Iran and Iraq and Obama wanting war in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
That being said I strongly believe that Obama has the good sense, the vast knowledge, and the good judgement, to do his best to avoid war and to wield the hammer of the American Empire with some empathy and foresightedness while McCain I believe has no concern for human life (as he jokes about killing the Iranians) and would gladly use war as a tool without any remorse or thought for the future repercussions. That is one reason I will gladly vote for Obama despite my pacifist views.
Oh and Obama really nailed McCain a few times, there were some real knock out blows, perhaps I will discuss these more later.
for now good night, it will be interesting to see how the mainstream media spins this.
peace,
Danny
oh, and of course the point I was bummed got missed was about Georgia/Russia. McCain said twice that Barack was wrong because he said BOTH sides need to show restraint. It is absurd to say that this is the wrong thing to say when people are killing each other, regardless who is to blame. And of course the point that Georgia started the violence was never made.
Friday, September 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment