Dear President Obama,
I voted for you and worked hard for your election. I have been happy with some of the things you have done but not very happy with much of it. Where I usually disagree with you is when you move too far toward the Republican position on an issue. Dropping your support for a public option during the health care debate was a perfect example.
Now we have a debate happening in our country that cuts to the root of what I see as the difference between the Republican and Democratic parties. In the economic debate leading up to the need to raise the debt ceiling, we have seen the Republicans stand firm in their demand for lowering taxes on the wealthy while making cuts that will hurt working class families. This is an ideological position of theirs. They faught medicare and social security from the beginning. Their position that lower taxes for the wealthy creates jobs is contradicted by the historical facts. The wealthy have in the past decade made more money then ever before, payed the lowest taxes in 60 years, and job growth was the worst in the same time period.
I am a teacher and father of two small children. I recently bought a house (it is in escrow) and while it was the cheapest house in our neighborhood, we will just be able to afford it. I am surprised to hear that you are supporting a "bipartisan" plan to overhaul medicare and social security (which contributes ZERO to the deficit) and to lower even further the taxes for the wealthy. To pay for these tax breaks, the plan is to get rid of tax breaks for home owners and for employer provided health care. I find it incredible that while I am going to be squeezed to the point of possibly not being able to afford my new house, people making hundreds of millions of dollars a year are going to get a further tax break.
I would find a way to make it work and not complain too much if EVERYONE was paying more taxes but if the wealthiest Americans get a further tax break while the Democrats are in the White House and control the Senate and working class families pay more in taxes, then I promise you, I will go back to voting for the Green Party, for I do not see how having the Democratic party in control is helping the American people on the major issues of the economy, health care, and the wars (drone strikes in Pakistan are another major area where I disagree with your policies).
Please stand up for the American people and do not let the Republicans walk all over you! 79% of Americans support raising taxes on the wealthy to help pay down the defecit. Which side of the debate will you come down on?
Losing Hope,
Danny Boyer
Friday, July 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment