Sunday, May 11, 2008

the politics of mother's day

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers in the world. It is pointless to try and explain how important you all are since we wouldn't even exist without you.

There is no other group of people on Earth who deserve a day dedicated to them than do mothers. What mothers go through to bring us into life is simply astounding. Imagine they actually allow their bodies to become a factory of sorts that builds entire people. Then after the incredibly painful process of child birth they become a milk factory that is the life support system for baby. After that they give their heart and soul to a child who tries their best to drive the mother mad every moment they can just to test their own power. Of course it is a wonderful thing to be a mother, just think how many chose to do it all over again, and again....

Allthough I would love to wax poetically about the beauty of motherhood I will not at this time. I was motivated to write a quick blog by none other than George Bush. And he does not inspire me to write about beauty.

I heard him say a little mothers day sound bite that consisted of him praising the mothers who have given their boys to the fight in Iraq. Does Bush know how ironic that was> Probably not as I do not think he is a big history buff.

Fact is Mother's Day was begun in 1870 by Julia Ward Howe and was originally Mother's Day for Peace and was a day for mothers to march against war. Howe worked passionately to get make Mother's day for Peace a national holiday and she spoke and organized around the world to end war.

Having just seen in a magazine this evening a picture of a five year old Iraqi Boy with his parent's blood splattered on him screaming the most dreadful scream (his parents were shot by US troops who opened fire on the family car) I gotta say I am not in the mood to speak kindly of Mr Bush. What nerve does he have even speaking to the mothers of the soldiers he has needlessly sent to Iraq to fight an illegal and horrible war. Over 300,000 us troops have returned home with brain injuries and post traumatic stress disorder. And most of these cannot even get psychiatric help. And thousands have died. And of course there are the Iraqis, as many as a million killed, over 4 million homeless refugees, 30,000 in prison, and the rest living in a war with no end in sight. Damn you to hell MR. Bush, and all your partners in war crime, Mr. McCain included, who is more of a hawk than you. And now you and your crew have your sights on another country to bomb, Iran.

Well I know this is a sucky Mother's day blog. But the fact is we are at war, people are dying because the people we elected (sorta) are doing what they think is necessary to continue our capitalistic crusade on the world. It is much nicer to never think about that five year old boy with his mom's blood splattered on him but until we face the reality of what our government is doing, what our tax money is spent on, what our wall-mart lowest prices rule mentality is doing to the world but if we do not then we will not feel the need to work to change things. We need to see the horrors of war, we need to see the children enslaved making our children's toys, we need to see these things and get upset, get pissed off, and then get out in the streets and demand change.

Well I am gonna try to go to bed now, good luck, I got myself all worked up.

peace ya'll

No comments: